PostDoc or PhD Position in Scalable Data ReductionYou love algorithms, their analysis and efficient implementation? You are about to or know somebody who graduates with an excellent Master?s degree and is looking for a PhD or a PostDoc position? Then please read on:
The Algorithm Engineering Group Heidelberg at Heidelberg University is inviting applications for a full-time position in a DFG funded project of a PhD Student (m/f) starting on November 1st, 2021 (the exact date is negotiable). Starting in the group as a PostDoc is also possible.
A successful candidate will work under the supervision of Prof. Dr. Christian Schulz on engineering scalable data reduction algorithms. Over the last two decades, significant advances have been made in the design and analysis of FPT algorithms for a wide variety of graph problems. However, these theoretical algorithmic ideas have received very little attention from the practical perspective. This project aims to bridge the gap between theory and practice currently observed in FPT or kernelization approaches. Further responsibilities as part of the position include the supervision of bachelor and master students and possibly TA duties.
- Very good university degree (Master or equivalent) in computer science or a related field
- Willingness to learn and assist teaching in German
- Solid skills in software development and in the theoretical analysis of algorithms (evidenced by your thesis or relevant courses); knowledge in combinatorial algorithms and linear algebra is particularly desirable
- Self-motivation, team spirit and willingness to work in interdisciplinary projects
- Knowledge in parallel programming (in particular MPI) is a plus, but no requirement
Heidelberg University offers excellent conditions for undergraduate, graduate, and PhD students. As part of the university we pursue a non-discriminatory employment policy and value equal opportunities, as well as diversity (https://www.uni-heidelberg.de/diversity/). The university lays special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.
Please *forward this email to anyone who may be interested* or send your application documents (cover letter, CV, copies of certificates) and the contact information of two references if available to the address below. To receive full consideration, submit the documents via *email* by November 15th, 2021 to Prof. Dr. Christian Schulz.